If large gaps between your teeth cause you to feel self conscious about your smile, you may benefit from treatment for gapped teeth. Drs. Charles E. Sutherland, Kenneth W. Pagel, Lillian Carmina Lyons, and Betty S. Albers offer cosmetic dentistry treatments to close gaps between the teeth and improve the overall appearance of the smile. To find out which treatment for gapped teeth is right for you, schedule a consultation with our Houston, TX team of dentists.
The Causes of Gapped Teeth
Gaps can develop between the teeth over time, or they may occur as a result of a person’s natural anatomy. Some people are born with an oversized labial frenum, the tissue that connects the upper lip to the gums and can cause a gap to develop between the two upper, front teeth. Others may notice gaps between their teeth due to the size of their teeth, specifically when the teeth are undersized in relation to the jaw.
Gaps that develop over time may be caused by thumb or pacifier sucking after the toddler years, or from a condition called tongue thrust. Tongue thrust is a swallowing reflex disorder that causes the tongue to press into the upper teeth instead of the roof of the mouth.
Poor oral hygiene can also cause gaps to form between the teeth as a result of tooth loss. Tooth loss causes obvious gaps where teeth are missing, but it can also cause the remaining teeth to shift and form gaps.
Close Gaps with Dental Treatment
Fortunately, people who are unhappy with the appearance of gaps between their teeth can enjoy the smile of their dreams with dental treatment. There are a variety of treatments available to address gaps between the teeth and improve the overall appearance of the smile, including:
- Dental crowns: Dental crowns are tooth-shaped restorations used to close gaps by changing the shape and size of a tooth.
- Porcelain veneers: Porcelain veneers are thin prosthetics that fit over the front surface of the teeth. When used as instant orthodontics, porcelain veneers can close gaps and correct the appearance of crooked teeth.
- Dental bonding: Dental bonding uses a tooth-colored resin, which is applied and shaped directly on the teeth, to close gaps and adjust dental shape, size, and color.
- Frenectomy: A frenectomy is a minor surgical procedure used to remove excess labial frenum tissue. When performed on younger patients, a frenectomy may be all that’s required for gaps to close on their own, whereas adult patients will typically require additional treatment to close gaps.
- Invisalign®: Invisalign® is an orthodontic treatment that uses clear dental trays to discreetly reposition the teeth, closing gaps and creating a beautifully straight smile.
- Traditional orthodontics: Traditional orthodontic treatment using metal wires and brackets remains a popular treatment option to close gaps and correct bite issues.
- Dental implants: Dental implants are surgically placed titanium posts that can be paired with different types of dental restorations, including dental crowns and dentures, to replace missing teeth and prevent gaps from developing after tooth loss.
Discover Your Treatment Options
Find out which treatments are right for your needs. Schedule a consultation with our dental team to achieve the smile of your dreams.